[SydPhil] Monday: Stability and Epistemic Value

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 21:07:36 AEST 2012

Dear all,

This Monday's current projects seminar will be Alejandro Carballo on:

"Stability and epistemic value"

An epistemic state is stable, relative to a particular proposition, to the extent that the degree of belief it assigns to that proposition is invariant under counterfactual suppositions. I will argue that stability, thus understood, is an epistemic good. All else equal, epistemic states that are stable are better, epistemically, than those that are not. I will then sketch a way of using stability as in order to evaluate questions from an epistemic perspective, and derivatively to evaluate conceptual resources in terms of the questions they allow us to formulate.

1.00 to 2.30 in the philosophy common room, main Quad at Sydney.

See you all there.

Dr. Kristie Miller
University of Sydney
Senior Research Fellow
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14