[SydPhil] Paul Weirich: Simplifying Choices: Monday

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 13:03:48 AEST 2012

Hi all,

Next Monday's current projects turns out to be on labour day. But we are luck enough to have Paul Weirich with us, and he will not be around the following week so rescheduling is not an option. So we will go ahead with the seminar regardless. I have keys to get into the building. Hopefully most of you can still make it.  He is talking on:

Simplifying Choices

Abstract

Rational decisions rest on evaluations of options, and an option's evaluation in ideal cases surveys all considerations that count for or against the option.  In ideal cases, with unlimited computational capacity, an option's evaluation may without harm process irrelevant considerations along with relevant considerations.  However, in real cases, where efficiency matters, an optimal evaluation surveys only relevant considerations.  This paper identifies the relevant considerations to which an optimal evaluation attends.

Hope to see you all there….

Best

Kristie

Dr. Kristie Miller
University of Sydney
Senior Research Fellow
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14