[SydPhil] Mq CAVE seminar on the Milgram experiments 3 May 2013

Wendy Rogers wendy.rogers at mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 22 09:12:57 AEST 2013

 CAVE Seminar: Friday 3rd May 2013

                Professor Kathryn Millard (Media, Music, Communication and
Cultural Studies,
                Macquarie University)

                Revisioning Obedience: Stanley Milgram's laboratory drama

*Time: 1 to 3.30 pm
Venue: W6A room 708, Macquarie campus*

Stanley Milgram's documentary *Obedience* (1965) is widely understood as
the scientific record of a social psychology experiment. Yet it presents
audio-visual footage of only 1 condition out of the more than 30 Milgram
conducted. Far from blindly obeying authority, in some conditions up to 90%
of participants disobeyed. Drawing on extensive archival research, this
presentation looks behind the scenes at Milgram's obedience studies and
film. Were they science? Or theatre? Milgram claimed his studies as
evidence that most of us do as we're told. But do we?

Kathryn Millard is a writer, filmmaker and academic. In 2012, she was
Visiting Fellow in Film Studies at Yale University. Kathryn's most recent
film *Random 8* (2012) dramatised sociologist Bill Gamson's 'Encounters
with Unjust Authorities' experiment which challenged Stanley Milgram's
findings.

On the film* Random 8* see www.random8thefilm.com

Wendy Rogers
Professor of Clinical Ethics
Department of Philosophy and Australian School of Advanced Medicine
Building W6A, room 740
Macquarie University
NSW 2109
Tel: +61 2 9850 8858