[SydPhil] Current Projects: Tolerance or Respect?

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 13:17:46 AEST 2013

Hi all,

This coming Mondays' current projects (1.00-2.30, Muniment room) is Louise Richardson-Self speaking on:

Tolerance or Respect?
According to Rainer Forst there is one basic human right which foregrounds all other rights: the basic right to justification. This right holds that agents can demand reciprocally and generally justifying reasons for any perceived mistreatment they withstand. If the treatment cannot be so justified, then the situation ought to be rectified. Forst also endorses a ‘respect conception’ of tolerance alongside the basic right to justification. This holds that ethical world views may not determine the norms and laws of a society where they conflict with moral requirements. Now consider the case of same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage neither violates the demands of reciprocity, nor generality. Furthermore, opposition to same-sex marriage is based on ethical world views (religious beliefs, notions of human nature) rather than moral requirements. Assuming this is all right, same-sex marriage ought to be legalised and tolerated. My question is, is tolerance enough? Can lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender men and women (LGBT) legitimately demand respect, in the true sense of the word? I argue that if Forst’s theory is supplemented with insights from sexual difference feminism, they can. I make this argument, employing the philosophy of Luce Irigaray and her criticisms of phallocentrism, whilst analysing Forst’s ‘paradox of the tolerant racist’.

See you all there

Dr. Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14