[SydPhil] Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia

Eliza Goddard elizagoddard at aap.org.au
Wed Apr 16 13:31:42 AEST 2014

*Call For Papers*

*PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION SOCIETY OF AUSTRALASIA (PESA) conference:
Hamilton, New Zealand, 22- 25 November 2014*

*The theme of this year's conference is Education as Philosophies of
Engagement.*

The term 'engagement' suggests many aspects crucial not only to education,
but to living in our contemporary globalised world. Engagement invokes
thoughts about the relational, the personal; to cultures, religions;
physical, emotional, psychological and virtual spaces; contesting
political, economic and social critique and encompassing notions of civic
engagement and activism; of engaging the stranger and the foreigner, the
self, the 'thou' and 'other'. Engagement signals the importance of
traversing philosophical possibilities and negotiating ways to deal with
contrasting or conflicting views - with anger, with violence and war.  How
can we/ought we engage with each other and with world issues such as
inequalities, child poverty, female education, genocide, democracy and so
on based on these provocations?

*Submissions can be in the form of refereed papers, presentations or
symposia. Abstracts due by 7 JULY.*

*Further information is available from the
website www.pesa.org.au/conference <http://www.pesa.org.au/conference>*

We warmly invite you to join with us in this exciting event and ask you to
please  circulate this email amongst interested parties.

*Phillipa Whiteford*

PESA 2014 Conference Administrator

Email: pesa-2014 at waikato.ac.nz

*http://www.pesa.org.au/conference* <http://www.pesa.org.au/conference>

--
Eliza Goddard
Executive Officer, Australasian Association of Philosophy

ACN 152 892 272
ABN 29 152 892 272