[SydPhil] Fwd: program & registration for Macquarie workshop with Carl Craver, Mon June 15: Amnesia and Identity

John Sutton john.sutton at mq.edu.au
Tue Jun 9 08:17:42 AEST 2015

Program and registration:
http://www.ccd.edu.au/events/conferences/2015/amnesia/
Enquiries to Amanda Selwood amanda.selwood at mq.edu.au

---------- Forwarded message ----------

*Registration is now open and the program is available for Amnesia and
Identity: Self, Memory and Moral Psychology (link below).*

*Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics, Department of Cognitive Science, ARC
Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders*

*Macquarie University*

*Monday 15 June 2015, Lecture Theatre 1.200, Australian Hearing Hub*

This exciting workshop has been sponsored and organised by the Centre for
Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE) http://cave.mq.edu.au/home/, the Department
of Cognitive Science, the Memory Program of the ARC Centre of Excellence in
Cognition and its Disorders (CCD), and the Collective Cognition Team.

This interdisciplinary workshop will welcome Professor Carl Craver (
https://pages.wustl.edu/cfcraver), an internationally renowned philosopher
from Washington University in St Louis, to Macquarie. The workshop will
feature a Keynote Talk by Professor Carver (details below) as well as
presentations from researchers across a range of disciplines including
philosophy, psychology, cognitive science and neuroscience, exploring
memory, amnesia and identity.

*Keynote by Carl Craver*

*Identity and Continuity in Amnesia*

No cognitive faculty is more closely associated with personal identity and
continuity over time than episodic memory. I use philosophical arguments
and neuropsychological evidence to weaken this association. Among the novel
empirical findings I report are preserved capacity for narration in a
scaffolded story-telling test in individuals with dense amnesias and
preserved sense of personal continuity in a case of an extreme working
memory deficit. Throughout, I will argue that much of our forensic sense of
personal continuity over time can be retained even in the face of dramatic
episodic memory deficits.

*Registration and details available here: *

https://www.ccd.edu.au/events/conferences/2015/amnesia/

Please distribute within your networks. For more information contact:

Amanda Selwood, amanda.selwood at mq.edu.au

--
*Amanda Selwood*

PhD Candidate

*ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders (CCD)*
*Department of Cognitive Science  |  * Level 3, Australian Hearing Hub

16 University Avenue
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

*T:* +61 2 9850 2930

[image: Macquarie University] <http://mq.edu.au/>

--
Professor John Sutton
Deputy Head, Department of Cognitive Science
Email: john.sutton at mq.edu.au
http://www.cogsci.mq.edu.au/ <http://www.maccs.mq.edu.au/>
http://mq.academia.edu/JohnSutton

<http://mq.edu.au/>