[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Seminar on Tuesday the 1st of November: Philip Gerrans (Adelaide))

Adam Hochman adam.hochman at mq.edu.au
Fri Oct 28 13:05:00 AEDT 2016

Depersonalisation, Pain Asymbolia, and the Mineness of Experience

Philip Gerrans (Adelaide)

Date: Tuesday, 1st of November
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 107, Macquarie University

ABSTRACT: Colin Klein famously writes:  "the phenomenology of asymbolia might resemble a kind of depersonalization syndrome... The asymbolic, and the depersonalized more generally, feel sensations that they are estranged from".

In this talk I endorse and and explore this idea. I provide an account of "mineness" or "personalization" of experience which I hope provides a unifying interpretation of a range of phenomena: analgesia and anaesthesia, self awareness imagined emotions and sensations, depersonalization, asymbolia and an interesting pattern of preserved and impaired abilities in patients (specially Roger who has none of the structures which, on my account, should be essential).

I argue that the key is to understand the role of the anterior insula cortex as a hub of an emotional salience system functioning according to a predictive coding principle. This might reconcile conflicting the insights of among others Seth, Critchley Damasio, Craig and Singer about the role of this enigmatic structure. And tell us something about a pervasive but theoretically elusive aspect of experience: the feeling that experiences belong to us.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

---

Adam Hochman
Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile | http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Personal Website | adamhochman.com

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626