[SydPhil] Nicole Vincent Presentation ACU Philosophy Seminar Series

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Aug 6 13:42:49 AEST 2018

ACU Philosophy Department Seminar Series, presents:
Nicole A Vincent, Faculty of Transdisciplinary Innovation, University of Technology Sydney

Title: Reducing incongruence or eliminating diversity? On the political ramifications of cross-sex hormone treatment and gender confirmation surgery.

After decades of ruthless stigmatisation and pathologisation, the psychiatric profession has recently converged on a new way of characterising transgender people and the purpose of medical interventions such as cross-sex hormone treatment and gender confirmation surgery — one that deliberately aims to be progressive. According to the DSM-5 and the soon-to-be-released ICD-11, transgender people's experienced gender is incongruent with their natal sex or their natal gender, and the stated purpose of such medical interventions is to reduce that incongruence. However, I will argue that, firstly, not only is this "incongruence thesis" and its framing of the purpose of such medical interventions conceptually incoherent but, secondly, that this way of characterising transgender people and the purpose of such medical interventions is not progressive but deeply though insiduously regressive, and that it threatens to marginalise sex, gender, and sexuality minorities, and to eliminate diversity.

DAY and TIME: Friday August 10, 2.30pm - 4 pm

WHERE: Nicole will speak at ACU’s North Sydney campus and the presentation will be video-conferenced to other campuses (details below). Address for North Sydney: Tenison Woods House, 8-20 Napier St N. Syd. Take the lift to Level 12, and proceed to the Vidconference room (or email me - stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au - and I will meet you in the foyer of the building).

Other campuses:
Brisbane: 202.1.07;
Ballarat: 100.1.04;
Strathfield: 640.1.16
Melbourne: 460.2.80 (250 Victoria Parade)

ALL WELCOME!