[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar - Ron Mallon - Extended Human Kinds: The Case of Race

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 14:37:40 AEST 2018

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mmvtCxnMRvtwVG9zh8KvgT?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY

AND PHILOSOPHY

OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER TWO 2018
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
Monday 20th  AUGUST

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9L7cCyoNVrckwj0pIMaE0c?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

RON MALLON
Chair
Director, Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology
Professor, Philosophy
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST LOUIS

Extended Human Kinds: The Case of Race

 In this paper I consider a certain sort of case for the reality of human kinds in the social sciences, and how it leads us to think about the characteristics of the kinds in question.
   By way of a case study, I consider race. Racial kinds figure in generalizations across the socials sciences, so there is some reason to think they are in some sense real. But what explains this? I consider possibilities for understanding the causal power of racial kinds as socially constructed: psychological and historical or material mechanisms. I then go on to consider what the case of race might reveal about the possibilities of constituting human kinds, drawing on theories of natural kinds and parallels with developments in thinking about biological kinds.

WHERE:
SEMINAR ROOM 446 NEW LAW ANNEX
CAMPERDOWN CAMPUS
WHEN: MONDAY 20TH AUGUST
START: 5.30PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free

Next Seminar: Monday 3rd September Professor Stephen Gaukroger - Science Fiction and the Revival of Wonder.

Copyright © *2016* *Unit for HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>