[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar 13th May - Sahar Tavakoli - Mamma! Butta la Pastiche!

HPS Admin hps.admin at sydney.edu.au
Tue May 7 13:44:28 AEST 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/zNKCCXLKZoirklEAu6LbeL?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY

AND PHILOSOPHY

OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER ONE 2019
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
MONDAY 13th May 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/_CVPCYWL1viBjKVYFGhOeq?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SAHAR TAVOKOLI PhD Candidate
Science and Technology Studies
CORNELL UNIVERSITY

Mamma! Butta la Pastiche!

Vegno del loco ove tornar disio;
amor mi mosse, che mi fa parlare.
(I come from where I most long to return;
love prompted me, that love which makes me speak.)
Dante Alighieri, La Divina Commedia, Inferno. Canto 2:71-2

On August 26, 2013, Dario Cecchini – a 56 year old macellaio from Chianti in central Tuscany – took to a stage in Copenhagen to butcher a pig and recite poetry. The performance was a plea to historians, journalists, political activists, governmental bodies, and international aid organisations to recognise the contribution of butchery in the making of Italian culture and identity and its preservation as a (region specific) craft as equal in importance to the protection of an ethnic minority under threat.
In this presentation, I will explore the ways in which the sociotechnical organisation of food production and agriculture regulation in Italy and increasingly across Western Europe, evokes a spectre of national identity by calling upon both romanticised pasts that may not have been and an undefined future deemed certain to arrive. More specifically, I combine Derrida’s ‘hauntology’, Sontag’s Notes on Camp, and work on sociotechnical imaginaries to ask how a combined future-past casts a shadow on actions that take place in the present, and what conversations on how we eat say about who we are, who we were, or, more worrying, who we might be made to be.
The sociotechnical imaginaries, vanguard visions, and imagined communities and democracies of Jasanoff, Kim, Hilgartner, Anderson, and Ezrahi -- to name only a few – each acknowledge the place of fictional visions of social life and social order in the production and performance of science and technology. Common amongst these texts is the expectation that imaginaries are forward-looking. Performances like that of Cecchini are neither forward-looking, nor are they entirely trapped in the past. Indeed, they follow a far less linear timeline, looking backwards to the future in order to more clearly observe the threat that is the present.

WHERE: LEVEL 5 FUNCTION ROOM F23
(NEW) ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
AT THE ENTRANCE TO CITY ROAD
CAMPERDOWN CAMPUS
WHEN: MONDAY 13th May 2019
START: 5.30PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free

Copyright © *2019* *School of HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>