[SydPhil] HPS RESEARCH SEMINAR - SIMINE VAZIRE - MELBOURNE SCHOOL OF PSYCHOLOGICAL SCIENCES

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Wed Oct 6 11:14:13 AEDT 2021

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KBxzC0YKPviGNn6PgfwFVtJ?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE

RESEARCH SEMINAR
SEMESTER TWO 2021
MONDAY 11th OCTOBER  2021
FROM 5PM

Zoom URL:
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87994238748<https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87994238748?from=addon>
Meeting ID:
879 9423 8748

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/knOVCgZ0N1iAEvVQwfooPrB?domain=mcusercontent.com]
Simine Vazire
Professor
Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
University of Melbourne
Is Science Self-Correcting? The Case of Social and Personality Psychology
 How a field responds when its credibility comes under serious threat is an important marker of its commitment to scientific values. The 2010s were a turbulent decade for the field of social and personality psychology. Failures to replicate, fraud, and evidence of questionable research practices all contributed to a crisis of credibility. What has the field done in response to this crisis, and what would a true reckoning with this crisis look like? I first discuss how the field's response to the crisis unfolded, from my perspective as a researcher, journal editor, and board member of several professional societies in the field. I then discuss what the field could do to establish its credibility. I propose two markers of a commitment to self-correction. First, we should undertake careful metascientific studies of the field and change our norms and practices to address any problems identified. I describe one such study, my lab's Surveying the Past and Present State of Published Studies in Social and Personality Psychology (SPPSPSSPP) study. Second, we should examine why our quality control mechanisms - namely, peer review - failed to prevent such a crisis, and what should be done to improve quality control and reduce the chances of future catastrophes. I describe several developments in peer review that may help.

Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

This email was sent to debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au<mailto:debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au>
why did I get this?<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/z_B8Clx1Nji2RWg4PS1KXqq?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    unsubscribe from this list<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/cDedCk81N9tO2DmGXf9zOxo?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    update subscription preferences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oH-RCjZ1N7inozpNGH5vFfN?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science · University of Sydney · Sydney, NSW 2006 · Australia

[Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MJ-pCmO5glujyVE4PhDfg4w?domain=mailchimp.com>