[SydPhil] PhD Scholarship at University of Notre Dame Australia

David Bronstein david.bronstein at nd.edu.au
Wed Mar 22 11:16:09 AEDT 2023

PhD Scholarship in Ancient Philosophy, Virtue Ethics, or Virtue Epistemology (Full-Time, $30,000 p.a. stipend, for 3 Years)

The University of Notre Dame Australia is offering one (tax-free) PhD stipend scholarship, $30,000 per annum for up to three years, commencing in Semester 2, 2023 or Semester 1 2024. We are seeking applications from highly motivated candidates interested in pursuing a PhD under the supervision of Associate Professor David Bronstein, a Senior Research Fellow in the Institute for Ethics and Society (IES). The scholarship is funded by Assoc Prof Bronstein's Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellowship project entitled 'Virtue with Aristotle: Recovering an Ancient Ethical Theory for Our Time'<https://dataportal.arc.gov.au/NCGP/Web/Grant/Grant/FT220100615> (FT220100615). Associate Professor Bronstein, an expert in Ancient Greek philosophy, is a member of the IES' Moral Philosophy and Ethics Education research focus area. His ARC Future Fellowship project aims to produce the first comprehensive study of Aristotle's concept of virtue in all three areas of human activity in which he applies it (moral action, theoretical cognition, and craft and artistic production) and trace its relevance for contemporary ethical theory and practice.

Applications are sought in any of the project's main research areas: Ancient Greek and/or Roman philosophy, especially ethics; contemporary virtue ethics; or contemporary virtue epistemology. The PhD student will pursue their degree through the School of Philosophy and Theology.

Notre Dame's School of Philosophy and Theology takes a leading role in the exploration and realisation of the University's Objects. Our programs explore the Catholic intellectual tradition, but also encourage students to consider and question the fundamental assumptions we make about life itself. Our research strengths include: ancient philosophy, medieval philosophy, moral philosophy (esp. virtue ethics), philosophical theology, Catholic theology, religious education, sociology of religion, and science-and-religion.

The Institute for Ethics and Society is one of Notre Dame's three research institutes. It is a cross-disciplinary team of moral philosophers, bioethicists, and social scientists conducting both pure and applied research. Based on the Sydney Campus, our research aims to improve contemporary social, political, and individual life by exploring: how the virtues can strengthen civil society and support human flourishing; life, death, and the care we receive; and the role of religion and spirituality in political and personal life. Our researchers have partnered with a wide range of industry and community partners - from schools and hospitals to grassroots political groups and religious organisations. The IES research focus areas are: Moral Philosophy & Ethics Education, Bioethics & Healthcare Ethics, and Religion, Culture & Society.

Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for PhD research at UNDA: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lnhgCxngwOfL1EnQOt8OqGf?domain=notredame.edu.au

In addition to the $30,000 p.a. stipend, domestic candidates will receive a Research Training Program Fees Offset Scholarship; that is, a tuition fee waiver for three years.

Applications from overseas students are very welcome, and international fee-offset scholarships (that is, tuition fee waivers) are available to competitive candidates.

We are seeking expressions of interest for candidates to begin Semester 2 2023 (begins 24 July) or Semester 1 2024 (begins 19 February). Applicants should register their interest as soon as possible, and no later than 31 May 2023.

Expressions of interest should be directed to David Bronstein (david.bronstein at nd.edu.au<mailto:david.bronstein at nd.edu.au>) and / or Nathan Lyons (nathan.lyons at nd.edu.au<mailto:nathan.lyons at nd.edu.au>), Postgraduate Research Coordinator in the UNDA School of Philosophy and Theology.

?

Disclaimer