[SydPhil] Metaphysics Workshop, July 18, University of Sydney

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 07:49:13 AEST 2023

The Centre for Time at the University of Sydney is running a one day metaphysics workshop on July 18

All are welcome.  No, there is no zoom link. Apologies (sort of) but I want to get back to face to face events.

The program, as it stands, is below. More details to follow.

Tuesday July 18, 2023

N 494, Main Quad, University of Sydney

9..00-10.00

David Builes, Princeton

Center Indifference and Skepticism

Abstract: Many philosophers have been attracted to a restricted version of the principle of indifference in the case of self-locating belief. My first goal is to defend a more precise version of this principle. After responding to several existing criticisms of such a principle, I argue that existing formulations of the principle are crucially ambiguous, and I go on to defend a particular disambiguation of the principle. According to the disambiguation I defend, how one should apply this restricted principle of indifference sensitively depends on one's background metaphysical views about time and modality. My second goal is to apply this disambiguated principle to classical skeptical problems in epistemology. In particular, I will argue that Eternalism threatens to lead us to external world skepticism, and Modal Realism threatens to lead us to inductive skepticism.

10.00-11.00 Brian Epstein, Tufts

Title TBA.

BREAK: 1100-1.00

1.00-2.00 Jonathan Tallant, Nottingham

“Being and Doing”.

2.00-3.00 Emily Thomas, Durham

Title TBA

3.00-3.30 BREAK

3.30-4.30 Helen Beebee, Leeds,

Title TBA

4.30-5.30 Dave Ingram, York

“How to Build a Dynamical Theory of Time”

Professor Kristie Miller
Chair of Philosophy
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Humanities