[SydPhil] Reminder: Macquarie Philosophy WiP Seminar Tuesday 18 July 2023 – Dr Yarran Hominh

Regina Fabry regina.fabry at mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 12 08:40:39 AEST 2023

Dear all,

You are invited to attend the next philosophy seminar on Tuesday 18 July 2023 from 1:00 to 2:00pm.

Attend in-person at 25C Wally's Walk, Room C326.

Attend online: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/upUQC91WPRTzZ2vRYuopL2H?domain=macquarie.zoom.us
Password: Seminar

Speaker: Dr Yarran Hominh (Bard College)

Title: Affective Misdirection and the Stability of Unfreedom

Abstract: Systems of unfreedom like the global system of racial capitalism are self-stabilising. They maintain themselves in the face of concerted action to transform them. How might we understand their capacity to do so? In this paper I examine one mechanism by which such systems stabilise themselves: what I call “affective misdirection”. Affects are powerful agential forces that potentially serve as a means of social transformation. They are both epistemically powerful (they help us understand our situation and what is going wrong) and practically powerful (they motivate action). Systems of unfreedom misdirect these potentially transformative energies in ways that maintain those systems. For example, anger that should be directed against capitalist institutions for economic ills is redirected, through racism and xenophobia, toward other groups within the system. And hope that might help us imagine freer and more just social forms is redirected under capitalism towards individual success. These misdirected affects both engender support for systems of unfreedom and disrupt potential sources of collective action. The larger methodological claim this paper advances is that systemic and structural forms of understanding should be combined with individual-level moral psychological analysis.

Speaker Bio: Yarran Hominh is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Bard College. His research sits at the intersection of social and political philosophy with moral psychology. He draws liberally from a variety of traditions of thought and practice, including the pragmatist tradition, the Black radical tradition, Buddhist modernism, and anti-racist, anti-colonial, and anti-imperial praxis from around the globe. He is working on a book entitled The Problem of Unfreedom and has papers recently published or forthcoming in Philosophers’ Imprint, The Pluralist, the Journal of Legal Philosophy, Comparative Philosophy and the Journal of Confucian Philosophy and Culture. He is also the Associate Editor of the APA Studies on Asian and Asian American Philosophers and Philosophies and is on the editorial board of The Philosopher.

 For any queries relating to the Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminar, please contact foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au<mailto:foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au>.

Best regards,

Regina

Dr Regina Fabry (she/her)
ARC Discovery Early Career Research Awardee
Editor-in-Chief of Philosophy and the Mind Sciences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/agkQC0YKPvikEmKJrSDnbrB?domain=philosophymindscience.org> (Diamond Open Access)
Department of Philosophy
Level 7, 25B Wally’s Walk
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
E: regina.fabry at mq.edu.au<mailto:regina.fabry at mq.edu.au>  |  W: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/g6Z3CgZ0N1iqgGrPYi2t9Dg?domain=researchers.mq.edu.au
[Macquarie University]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NMEnCjZ1N7iY6R2lyU7s9FI?domain=mq.edu.au>

I acknowledge that Macquarie University stands on the lands of the Dharug Nation. <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Btu5Ck81N9tkL57YqSJGDxJ?domain=mq.edu.au>
I respect Elders, past, present, and future and recognise the continuity of knowledge <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Btu5Ck81N9tkL57YqSJGDxJ?domain=mq.edu.au/>
that nurtures Country and community.<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Btu5Ck81N9tkL57YqSJGDxJ?domain=mq.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider 00002J. ABN: 90 952 801 237.