[SydPhil] Macquarie Philosophy WiP Seminar on Tuesday 1 August 2023 – A/Prof Rach Cosker-Rowland

FoA Philosophy Seminars foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 26 15:26:34 AEST 2023

Dear all,

You are invited to attend the next philosophy seminar Tuesday 1 August 2023 from 1:00 to 2:00pm.

Attend in-person at 25B Wally's Walk, Room B603.
Attend online: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/aLD3CzvkyVCGJ1RyvC4CxcG?domain=macquarie.zoom.us
Password: seminar

Speaker: A/Prof Rach Cosker-Rowland

Title: Freedom of Gender
Abstract: Some states, such as Hungary, have banned trans people from changing their genders on their legal identification documents. Tennessee, Kansas, Montana, and North Dakota have recently enacted similar laws.  We use our legal documents to access many goods. Being unable to change one’s gender marker on one’s legal documents has been shown to significantly harm trans people. Do we have rights to change our gender on our legal identification documents? More generally, do we have rights to freedom of gender? This paper is in 4 parts. First, I sketch, and explain the plausibility of, the most popular account of the grounds of fundamental liberal rights to freedom of religious belief and expression, namely that these rights are grounded in more general right to live and act with integrity. Second, argue that our rights to live and act with integrity establish that trans people have rights to be able to change their gender markers on their legal documents so that they do not clash with their gender identities. In the third part of the paper, I draw out the implications of this argument for particular laws and policies. I argue that my argument establishes that: (i) wholesale bans on legal gender marker change such as Hungary, Tennessee, Kansas, Montana, and North Dakota’s are unjust; (ii) surgery requirements on gender marker change, which are implemented in 11 US states are unjust; (iii) the UK’s policy of requiring non-binary people to have binary gender markers on their passports is unjust; and (iv) there is a strong presumption in favour of policies, such as self-identification and gender decertification, that make it relatively easy for trans people to ensure that their gender markers do not clash with their gender identities. The final part of the paper looks beyond freedom of legal gender identification to freedom of gender more generally. It argues that in addition to basic liberal rights to live and act with integrity we have basic liberal rights to equal and inclusive treatment; these rights are also relevant to freedom of religion for they ground duties of state religious constraint. It then argues that our rights to equal and inclusive treatment and rights to live and act with integrity imply that we have rights to change our legal gender (and not just our gender markers), rights to have the gender that we are presented as on others’ legal documents not clash with our gender identities, rights to freedom of gender expression, and duties on state officials not to assert that, or adopt policies that imply that, trans people are not the genders that they take themselves to be.

For any queries relating to Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminars, please contact foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au<mailto:foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au>.

Best regards,

Regina

Dr Regina Fabry (she/her)
ARC Discovery Early Career Research Awardee
Editor-in-Chief of Philosophy and the Mind Sciences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AR0OCANpgjCZ7Q9PMf8-fyO?domain=philosophymindscience.org> (Diamond Open Access)
Department of Philosophy
Level 7, 25B Wally’s Walk
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
E: regina.fabry at mq.edu.au<mailto:regina.fabry at mq.edu.au>  |  W: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/F28gCBNqjlCDEGVk3HNPnuD?domain=researchers.mq.edu.au
[Macquarie University]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/hp6gCD1vlpTog9BWQfZwhLh?domain=mq.edu.au>

I acknowledge that Macquarie University stands on the lands of the Dharug Nation. <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iAN9CE8wmrtlR7WzKhZ9hT9?domain=mq.edu.au>
I respect Elders, past, present, and future and recognise the continuity of knowledge <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iAN9CE8wmrtlR7WzKhZ9hT9?domain=mq.edu.au/>
that nurtures Country and community.<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iAN9CE8wmrtlR7WzKhZ9hT9?domain=mq.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider 00002J. ABN: 90 952 801 237.