[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Supriya Subramani

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Mon Oct 9 09:00:00 AEDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Supriya Subramani  (Sydney Health Ethics, University of Sydney).

The title of Supriya’s talk is “Othering and Ethics of Belonging: Why it Matters for Migrant Healthcare?”. Here’s the abstract for the talk:

At a time when national identities are reasserted in western Europe alongside intellectual visions about a cosmopolitan order more inclusive than nationalism, what does belonging mean for immigrants who are non-Europeans, particularly for women from the South Asia, African and Middle East regions? Based on the lived experiences of 23 first generation women immigrants on their healthcare experiences in Zurich, Switzerland, I illustrate through embodied migrant experiences how othering and a sense of belonging is experienced within the web of chaotic meanings and social space one navigates. By employing a moral phenomenological-sociological approach, I present how embodied migrant experiences can capture the experiences of being an ‘other’, as well as how moral emotions such as shame and humiliation can influence one's moral self and its significance to everyday moral discourse. In this paper, I will analyse cosmopolitanism's possibilities by focusing on othering/belonging experiences. Furthermore, I will illustrate how ethics of belonging is practiced in everyday interactions by immigrants and briefly discuss its significance to healthcare debates.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 11th of October at 3:30 p.m. in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at a nearby venue. All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy