[SydPhil] 2023 William Ritchie Lecture | 24 October, 5pm Doors

Ben Brown benjamin.brown at sydney.edu.au
Mon Oct 16 09:13:47 AEDT 2023

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
School of Humanities

Classics and Ancient History
[The University of Sydney]
[Acropolis]

2023 William Ritchie Memorial Lecture

>From Athens to China and Back: A Western Student of Ancient Greece Looks at the Chinese Classical Tradition

Professor Glenn W. Most (University of Chicago)
October 24, 5pm Doors for 5:30pm Start.

Until recently, modern Europe and the cultures that derive from it accorded an unquestioned privilege to the Classical traditions they knew best, those of ancient Greece and Rome. Comparative studies tended to be few and were often rejected as being superficial. Now a variety of economic, political, and ideological factors have made not only the West become much more open to considering the value of other cultures than its own, but also have made those other cultures much more interested than previously in exchanges of all sorts with the West.

I myself am by profession a Western student of ancient Greece; but I have always believed that one can only understand one Classical tradition well if one sees it in comparison with other Classical traditions. Among the dozen or score of Classical traditions scattered throughout the world, the Greek and the Chinese are two of the ones that have flourished the most. It is worth studying them comparatively, because not only their similarities, but also their differences, and the relative independence and lack of contact between them for most of their history, can tell us much about what makes a Classical tradition. This can only be done seriously by groups of researchers with different competences but shared questions and mutual respect. But someone has to make a start; and this lecture is intended as one such start.

Please join us after the Lecture at Sounds Café at the Museum.

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/o10pCL7EwMfk0vDOkCBvZiq?domain=d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net]
About the speaker: Glenn Most is one of the most significant scholars of Greek and Roman Antiquity in the last half century. He has published books on ancient philosophy, on the history and methodology of Classical studies, on comparative literature, cultural studies, and the history of religion, on literary theory and on the history of art, and has published numerous articles, reviews, and translations in these fields as well as modern philosophy and literature. His body of work is vast, wide ranging, and continues unabated: recently he has published new editions and translations of the Hesiodic corpus, edited a volume of essays on the first columns of the Derveni Papyrus and collections of his essays in Italian on ancient and modern psychology and in Chinese on early Greek poetry, and co-edited comprehensive new editions of early Greek philosophy and volumes of essays on mathematical commentaries in Chinese, Sanskrit, Babylonian, and ancient Greek, on plurilingualism in premodern scholarship, on scholarly methods in a variety of canonical written traditions, and on a sentence of Kafka.

Glenn Most studied Classics at Harvard, Corpus Christi College (Oxford), and Yale University (M. Phil. 1978, Ph.D 1980), where he worked with the celebrated American literary scholar Paul de Man. At Tübingen Most was awarded a D.Phil. under Richard Kannicht with a thesis (revised as The Measures of Praise. Structure and function in Pindar’s Second Pythian and Seventh Nemean odes, 1985). From 1980-1985 Glenn Most taught Classics at Princeton (as Andrew W. Mellon Assistant Professor of Classics), and at the American Academy in Rome, Università degli Studi di Siena, University of Michigan, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin and the Universität Innsbruck (as Ordentlicher Universitätsprofessor für Klassische Philologie und Altertumskunde). From 1991-2001, Most was Professor of Ancient Greek language and literature at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, during which time he was a Visiting Professor at Michigan and Chicago. In 1994, Most was the first classicist to receive the Leibniz-Preis of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. From 2001-2020, he was Professor of Ancient Greek at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa and Visiting Professor on the Committee on Social Thought at the University of Chicago. Since his retirement from Pisa in 2020 he continues as a Visiting Professor in Chicago. Glenn Most is also an External Scientific Member of the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin.

The 2023 Ritchie Memorial Lecture is proudly supported by the Classical Association of NSW

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4MwOCMwGxOt2ply82IkAZFF?domain=d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net]

Click Here to Register<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PFuaCNLJyQUZYRqxZujXJLx?domain=t.e2ma.net>

Venue
Chau Chak Wing Museum
Nelson Meers Auditorium
University Place (Across from the Quadrangle)
Click here for map<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vNXKCOMKzVTNDGLXNIrz10c?domain=t.e2ma.net>

[Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IrLYCP7LAXf0Bl1m0U6xewQ?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/D-7FCQnMBZfXnx1qXcAB_v3?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Instagram]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ERCgCROND2uGwVDlGUQg9F9?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CxpPCVARKgC2VvnK2IEJf6D?domain=images.e2ma.net]

[The University of Sydney]
Keep in touch
[Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3rAJCWLVXkU61kLY6FOzvx5?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/yztsCXLW2mU4lJPN4iQ-OaR?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[Instagram]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZfyXCYW8NocDK8WZDFQflCF?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[LinkedIn]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ntAoCZY1Nqi71GqR7URJI5r?domain=t.e2ma.net>
[YouTube]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Iv4GC1WLPxc6rRAm6F4jlAS?domain=t.e2ma.net>
Copyright © 2021 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add soh.events at sydney.edu.au<mailto:sophi.events at sydney.edu.au> to your address book or senders safe list to make sure you continue to see our emails in the future.
Manage and Opt out<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/SaN4C2xMQziVLj2GVFxVxdp?domain=t.e2ma.net> using TrueRemove®
Got this as a forward? Sign up<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pZNCC3QNPBiXjBgMXc5jJTu?domain=t.e2ma.net> to receive our future emails.
View this email online<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GQ4GC4QOPEizZo2WzuqrTlk?domain=t.e2ma.net>.

Disclaimer<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iPm-C5QPXJiMyvPKMHPjbh0?domain=t.e2ma.net> | Privacy statement<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9IL3C6XQ4LfPRD69PHwbthm?domain=t.e2ma.net> | University of Sydney<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/zfCSC71R2NTzrqX6zuGhZmJ?domain=t.e2ma.net>