[SydPhil] Macquarie Philosophy WiP Seminar on Tuesday 24 October 2023 – Prof Stacy Carter (University of Wollongong)

FoA Philosophy Seminars foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 18 12:08:13 AEDT 2023

Dear all,

You are invited to attend the next Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminar on Tuesday 24 October 2023 from 1:00 to 2:00pm.

Attend in-person at 25B Wally's Walk, Room B603.
Attend online: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/hMgjC71R2NTzr0kv3H8oq0x?domain=macquarie.zoom.us
Password: seminar

Speaker: Prof Stacy Carter (Director, Australian Centre for Health Engagement, Evidence and Values, University of Wollongong)

Title: Empirical ethics, AI ethics, and healthcare AI futures

Abstract: In this work in progress discussion, I will ask: What can, and should, be the place of empirical research in healthcare AI ethics? In the course of approximately a decade, ‘AI Ethics’ as a scholarly and sometimes corporate endeavour has emerged in earnest, rapidly grown, and arguably failed. In policy circles, some actors are moving away from AI Ethics and towards notions of responsibility, assurance or governance when discussing normative dimensions of AI. During the same decade, empirical researchers started engaging consumers, communities and professionals in projects focused on what is right or wrong, good or bad about AI, including in healthcare. This empirical work is methodologically challenging, as it involves engaging participants on issues outside of their direct knowledge or experience. I will review some of the empirical ethics work about healthcare AI undertaken by our group, including scoping reviews, professional interviews, discussions with consumers, and earlier this year the first national Citizens’ Jury about healthcare AI. Drawing on the experience of doing this research, I will consider ways that—at least in healthcare contexts—empirical ethics might save AI ethics from itself, and guide healthcare AI futures.

For any queries about the Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminars, please contact foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au<mailto:foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au>.

Best regards,

Regina

Dr Regina Fabry (she/her)
ARC Discovery Early Career Research Awardee
Department of Philosophy
Level 7, 25B Wally’s Walk
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
E:  regina.fabry at mq.edu.au<mailto:regina.fabry at mq.edu.au>  |  mq.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f_qqC81V0PTXmARlnU1KW2v?domain=mq.edu.au>
[Macquarie University]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f_qqC81V0PTXmARlnU1KW2v?domain=mq.edu.au/>

I acknowledge that Macquarie University stands on the lands of the Dharug Nation. <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9qnlC91WPRTzJ6BvoH3HpHW?domain=mq.edu.au>
I respect Elders, past, present, and future and recognise the continuity of knowledge <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9qnlC91WPRTzJ6BvoH3HpHW?domain=mq.edu.au/>
that nurtures Country and community.<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9qnlC91WPRTzJ6BvoH3HpHW?domain=mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider 00002J. ABN: 90 952 801 237.
This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete the message and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie
University and its controlled entities.