[SydPhil] SHE Conversation Series| 22nd February 2024| 12.00-1:00 PM

Kathryn MacKay kathryn.mackay at sydney.edu.au
Tue Feb 13 10:42:02 AEDT 2024

Hello,

Warm invitation to you to the 2024 Semester 1 Sydney Health Ethics Conversation series.

Check out the details of our upcoming talk, the first in the series! And, don't forget to lock in that time on your calendar!

Speaker
Prof. Justin Oakley
Deputy Director
Monash Bioethics Centre
School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies
Monash University

When
22nd February 2024| 12.00-1:00 PM

Where
D18.04.411.Susan Wakil Health Building. SWHB Seminar Room 411

This will be a hybrid event. If you are attending online, join through zoom link.

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/86427461396?pwd=cUYyY0o3RC9hWU9QTU94Yk9UajZsdz09
    Password: 229913

Title
Developing a virtue ethics approach to moral responsibility and blameworthiness in professional role failures

Abstract
One way of developing a distinctively virtue ethical account of moral responsibility and agent blameworthiness is by analysing the key concepts of avoidability and foreseeability in terms of what a virtuous agent would be able to avoid and foresee, where this can differ from what ‘reasonably avoidable’ and ‘reasonably foreseeable’ are usually understood to involve. In the context of medical roles, this account explicates the relevant normative standards for determining moral responsibility and blameworthiness in terms of what a virtuous doctor would have been able to avoid, and what a virtuous doctor would foresee. A key advantage of appealing to the standard of a virtuous doctor here is that this can provide a more enduring normative standard for moral blameworthiness and moral negligence, than does appealing only to what a reasonable doctor would avoid and foresee. In this presentation I argue that explicating the normative standard for blameworthiness and moral negligence in medicine in terms of what a virtuous doctor would avoid and foresee provides a more robust normative standard, which has the resources to help practitioners gain a better understanding of their overarching goal of serving patients’ best interests, and of how any given code of medical ethics may need to change so as to better serve that goal. I also bring out how this approach usefully connects moral responsibility, blameworthiness, and negligence to discussions about the attainability of virtues.

Seminar will be followed by a "buy your own lunch" at the Grandstand, and we will continue our conversations!

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or require additional information. I look forward to seeing you at the Sydney Health Ethics Conversation!

Regards,
Supriya