[SydPhil] 7 March - Agora Speaker Series: Professor Shaun Gallagher

Elena Walsh elenawalsh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:46:34 AEDT 2024

The School of Liberal Arts, University of Wollongong invites you to attend
the

Agora Speaker Series

Thursday 7 March, 3.30 to 5.00pm, Building 20.4

This is an in-person event at the University of Wollongong

*Professor Shaun Gallagher (University of Memphis, University of
Wollongong)*

*The flying man thought experiment*

The notion of the minimal self has been linked with the phenomenological
concept of prereflective self-awareness, and has served in explanations of
body consciousness, sense of ownership, and sense of agency. It’s
frequently referenced in experiments on the Rubber Hand Illusion, in
characterizations of schizophrenia, and in discussions of Buddhist
conceptions of non-self experiences. Despite its ongoing relevance, clear
criteria for defining the minimal self are said to be lacking, and several
issues are still under debate, including how the minimal self relates to
embodiment and whether intersubjective or social relations contribute to
its constitution. In this paper I’ll suggest that Avicenna’s Flying Man
thought experiment can address a number of these issues, and can offer some
clarifications relevant to the ongoing discussions in analytic,
phenomenological, and cognitive science contexts.

The Agora Speaker Series is proudly hosted by

The School of Liberal Arts

Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities

University of Wollongong

NSW 2522 Australia

SOLA Enquiries sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au

T +61 2 4221 4160

Best wishes,

Elena

—

Dr. Elena Walsh (*she/her*)

Lecturer

Acting Head of Postgraduate Studies

School of Liberal Arts

Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities | 94.19

University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia

T +61 2 4220 5692

W elenawalsh.squarespace.com
<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/01LqCoV1kpfDgOJwLI1wLWH?domain=elenawalsh.squarespace.com>

Z https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/Y46VCp81lrt9VYPwNIDcdzg?domain=uow-au.zoom.us

*On the lands and waters that we study, we walk, and we live, we
acknowledge and respect the Traditional Custodians and cultural knowledge
holders of these lands.*