[SydPhil] Call for applications: Macquarie masterclass in corpus analysis

Mark Alfano mark.alfano at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:48:26 AEDT 2024

Corpus analysis masterclass

Led by: Mark Alfano & Brian Ballsun-Stanton

Dates: 18-20 September 2024

Location: Macquarie University City Campus (123 Pitt St., 24th floor)

Analyzing linguistic data in the form of digital corpora is all the rage.
While large language models have taken center stage recently, older methods
that are more explainable remain valuable. In this masterclass, Mark Alfano
and Brian Ballsun-Stanton will walk you through corpus analysis techniques
using a variety of corpora and methods. We will examine, for example, the
evolution of moral discourse in American State of the Union addresses from
George Washington to Joe Biden. We will explore the prevalence and
co-occurrence of various philosophical concepts in Nietzsche’s published
and authorized books. And we will investigate the patterns of language on
Twitter about the Black Lives Matter protests before and after the murder
of George Floyd.

The class will be taught using the R programming language but will not
presuppose any prior acquaintance with R or any other programming or coding
language. Participants will learn how to install and run R and various
corpus analysis packages such as quanteda and ggplot2, which will enable
them to conduct their own corpus analyses.

Participants at all career stages, from undergraduate to full professor,
are invited to register for this masterclass by emailing an expression of
interest to mark.alfano at gmail.com. Stipends are available to defray the
costs of those who could not otherwise participate.

--
Mark Alfano
Philosophy, Macquarie University