[SydPhil] Reminder: UOW Expanding Minds Seminar Series: Ron Planer and Ian Robertson

Elena Walsh elenawalsh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:18:40 AEST 2024

Reminder - all welcome to this in-person event.

--

*EXPANDING MINDS RESEARCH SERIES*

Work-In-Progress Showcase

Tuesday, 23 April 2024

*Dr. Ron Planer*

University of Wollongong

*Gricean Metacommunication*

15.00-16.00

In the view of many theorists, Grice’s model of communication offers an
intuitively correct characterization of the normal form of human
communication. At the same time, it promises to explain some of the most
striking features of human communication, such as its expressive richness
and flexibility. This has made Grice’s model of special interest to those
working on the evolution of human communication and language. And yet,
Grice’s model is not without problems. In particular, it has been seen as
too cognitively demanding to be a good general model of human
communication. In reply, several ways of attempting to finesse the
cognitive demands of Gricean communication have grown up in the literature.
This article considers three such approaches in light of the phenomenon of
human metacommunication. As I explain, metacommunication has been all but
absent from foundational discussions of Gricean communication. This is
surprising, as metacommunication is a central feature of human
communication, including that which very young children engage in. It is
argued that metacommunication undermines all but one of these approaches to
defending Grice’s model of communication.

*Dr. Ian Robertson*

Friedrich-Alexander-Universitat Erlangen-Nurnberg

*Being and Timing: Habitual behaviours as the basis of skilled performance*

16.00-17.00

In this talk, I consider the famed Dreyfus and Dreyfus model of skilled
embodied coping—on which skilled performance, at its pinnacle, unfolds
without implicating mental representations of any kind—and defend it
against recent caricatures. I then turn to examine the role it assigns to
habitual behaviours as a basis for fluid sensorimotor adjustment. Finally,
I consider two genuine problems for the Dreyfus and Dreyfus model, both
pertaining to content, and suggest that it has the resources to overcome
them. There is a short conclusion, where I consider some implications for
the Dreyfus and Dreyfus view for explainable AI.

Research Hub, 19-2072

University of Wollongong

Wollongong Campus

All are welcome. This is an in-person event. There is no registration fee
and no need to RSVP.

The* Expanding Minds Research Series,* hosted by the School of Liberal
Arts, is a platform for academics based at and visiting the University of
Wollongong to share their latest and ongoing research and scholarship.

--

*Dr. Elena Walsh*

Lecturer

School of Liberal Arts

Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities | 94.19

University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia

*T *+61 2 4220 5692

*W *elenawalsh.squarespace.com