[SydPhil] Knowledge and Action workshop - UNSW Sydney, 5-7 June

Markos Valaris m.valaris at unsw.edu.au
Sat Apr 27 17:03:34 AEST 2024

Hi All,

This is an announcement for a workshop, on the topic of Knowledge and Action, that will be held at UNSW on 5-7 June. All welcome! Details below (a detailed program will be circulated in due course):

Knowledge and Action

Knowledge and action have long been central topics of philosophical inquiry. This workshop aims to explore the connections between these two notions. Does action—or, perhaps, special kinds of action, such as intentional or skilled action—require knowledge, perhaps also of a special kind? Conversely, what is the place of action in a theory of knowledge? Should we think of the acquisition of knowledge as a kind of skill? Or should we perhaps think of knowledge itself (or maybe just some kinds of knowledge) as an ability?

 The Knowledge and Action workshop is funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC DP 200101045)

 Where: Tyree Room, Scientia Building UNSW Sydney

When: 5-7 June 2024, 9:15 am – 4:45 pm.

Registration: free

Contact: Markos Valaris (m.valaris at unsw.edu.au)

Participants

Maria Alvarez (King’s College London)

Anton Ford (University of Chicago)

Adrian Haddock (Universität Leipzig)

Emily Hulme (University of Sydney)

John Hyman (University College London)

Eric Marcus (Auburn University)

Evgenia Mylonaki (University of Patras)

Sarah Paul (NYU Abu Dhabi)

Josh Shepherd (Carleton University)

Markos Valaris (UNSW Sydney)

Wayne Wu (Carnegie Mellon University)

Markos Valaris (he/him)
Associate Professor of Philosophy
UNSW Sydney, School of Humanities and Languages<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/MldnCWLVXkUzyrj67U60dtK?domain=unsw.edu.au>

Personal webpage: markosvalaris.com<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/rDnVCXLW2mUBMEn4vTVFQSI?domain=markosvalaris.com>

I acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which I live and work, the Bedegal and Gadigal people of the Eora Nation.