[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Arash Abizadeh

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Thu Aug 10 09:00:00 AEST 2023

Hi everyone,

On Monday the 14th of August at 3:30 p.m. we have a special edition of the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series. Our speaker is Arash Abizadeh, R.B Angus Professor of Political Science and Associate Member of the Department of Philosophy, McGill University.

The title of Arash’s talk is “Agential Power and Structural Power, Causal and Non-Causal”. Here’s the abstract for Arash’s talk:

Many theorists of social power assume that agents’ power operates only by way of their intentional actions and their causal role in effecting outcomes. The former assumption is true of agential power, the latter of causal power, but neither is true of the social power of agents in general. Distinguishing between agential and structural power, I defend a notion of structural power as a type of non-intentional, passive power agents have in virtue of their position in a social structure and independently of their intentional actions. Distinguishing between causal and non-causal power, I also defend a non-causal type of power by which agents effect or elicit outcomes without causing them. Agential and structural power, moreover, are internally related: structural power is in certain contexts latently agential.

The talk will take place on Monday the 14th of August at 3:30 p.m. in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at a nearby venue. All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy