[SydPhil] Macquarie Philosophy WiP Seminar on Tuesday 15 August 2023 – Dr Inês Hipólito

Regina Fabry regina.fabry at mq.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 15:39:10 AEST 2023

Dear all,

You are invited to attend the next Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminar on Tuesday 15 August 2023 from 1:00 to 2:00pm.

Attend in-person at 25B Wally's Walk, Room B603.
Attend online: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/g8q4C91WPRTz3EvvXtoNgX1?domain=macquarie.zoom.us
Password: seminar

Speaker: Dr Inês Hipólito

Title: The Human Roots of AI

Abstract: I argue that AI is not a separate entity from humans but rather emerges from our cultural practices with profound social implications. I first reject the view of AI as independent from human social and cultural contexts and thereby morally neutral – on the basis that it is a deceptive means of deflecting ethical design responsibility. AI as a mind-independent object, as opposed to a product of human culture, will reinforce, as opposed to invert and challenge, existing biases on the basis of sociocultural segregation. The paper motivates, instead, self-determination agencies as a means to understand the human roots on the basis of AI ar nd how impacts agencies and shapes identities.

For any queries pertaining to the Macquarie Philosophy Work-in-Progress Seminars, please contact foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au<mailto:foa.philseminars at mq.edu.au>.

Best regards,

Regina

Dr Regina Fabry (she/her)
ARC Discovery Early Career Research Awardee
Editor-in-Chief of Philosophy and the Mind Sciences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vc2xC0YKPvikowKK5CDgVrU?domain=philosophymindscience.org> (Diamond Open Access)
Department of Philosophy
Level 7, 25B Wally’s Walk
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
E: regina.fabry at mq.edu.au<mailto:regina.fabry at mq.edu.au>  |  W: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KfoFCgZ0N1iq0ZrrRf22EIX?domain=researchers.mq.edu.au
[Macquarie University]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CJjACjZ1N7iY5Q22Xt7CYLd?domain=mq.edu.au>

I acknowledge that Macquarie University stands on the lands of the Dharug Nation. <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/XlwLCk81N9tkWz77jCJLQ8L?domain=mq.edu.au>
I respect Elders, past, present, and future and recognise the continuity of knowledge <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/XlwLCk81N9tkWz77jCJLQ8L?domain=mq.edu.au/>
that nurtures Country and community.<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/XlwLCk81N9tkWz77jCJLQ8L?domain=mq.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider 00002J. ABN: 90 952 801 237.