[SydPhil] ACHEEV 2023 SYMPOSIUM: Values in Health, 12 October, Wollongong NSW Australia

Yves Aquino ysjames at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 10:38:00 AEST 2023

Hi all,

Apologies for cross-posting.

THE ACHEEV 2023 SYMPOSIUM: RESEARCHING VALUES IN HEALTH CONTEXTS
Venue: The University of Wollongong Innovation Campus
Date: Thursday 12th October 2023
Time: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Registration link: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/55KWCQnMBZfXLXNjmhxZAEt?domain=uow.au1.qualtrics.com

The Australian Centre for Health Engagement, Evidence and Values (ACHEEV)
warmly welcomes you to a conversation about values in theoretical and
empirical health research.

Values are a common object of academic attention in health research, but
are conceptualised and theorised in many ways. Some disciplines offer deep
theoretical resources for thinking about values: consider for example value
theory in moral philosophy, or fact‐value debates in the philosophy of
science. In empirical research, the values of participants can be an
implicit or explicit object of study, and are approached and understood
differently by researchers from different disciplines. Some
methodologies—such as deliberative democratic approaches—invite
participants to make cooperative judgements about value trade‐offs. Others
may structure data collection to explicitly elicit values, or extract
implied values from participant talk in analysis. Researchers then make
decisions about how to report participant values, and about relating
participant values to existing theory, and building conclusions. These
issues and practices will be the focus of our conversation.

National and international colleagues, and members of the ACHEEV team, will
present papers illustrating theoretical and empirical approaches to working
with values. We will end the day with a panel discussion of the affordances
of different methods for researching values, and an open conversation on
the question: What do we mean when we say we are researching values?

While we will offer hybrid options, we strongly encourage you to attend in
person if you can. Note that the in‐person meeting is on the Innovation
Campus, not the main campus, of the University of Wollongong. We look
forward to welcoming you to Wollongong in October.

KEYNOTES
Professor Kieran O’Doherty, University of Guelph, Canada: How should we
understand values in deliberative contexts: Individual commitments,
collective vision, or abstract principles?
Dr Bryan Mukandi, University of Wollongong: On the imperative, and dangers,
of non‐conformity.

SPEAKERS
Professor Kevin Elliott, Michigan State University, USA: Values in
Healthcare Contexts: What Are Values Anyway?
Distinguished Professor Wendy Rogers, Macquarie University: Novel use of an
animation to engage scientists in discussion about values in synthetic
biology research
Dr Dan Santos, Australian National University, Canberra: Valuation in Stem
Cell Research: Sharing, Collaboration and Openness
Dr Diego Silva, University of Sydney: An Argument in Favour of Dionysian
Public Health
Associate Professor Claire Hooker, University of Sydney: Values in risk
communication about COVID‐19

Hope to see you there!

Best
Yves

--
*Dr. Yves Saint James C. Aquino, MD, PhD*
He/him/his
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Australian Centre for Health Engagement, Evidence and Values
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, *Australia*
Website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iI8bCROND2uGXGgq8UNle6h?domain=yvesaquino.com
Twitter: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/SsXhCVARKgC282Po1hygJAs?domain=twitter.com
UOW Scholars Page <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vTdSCWLVXkU686ymvCnVxT6?domain=scholars.uow.edu.au>
Recent publication:
Aquino, Y. S. J., Carter, S. M., Houssami, N., Braunack-Mayer, A., Win, K.
T., Degeling, C., ... & Rogers, W. A. (2023). Practical, epistemic and
normative implications of algorithmic bias in healthcare artificial
intelligence: a qualitative study of multidisciplinary expert
perspectives. *Journal
of Medical Ethics*.
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ERm6CXLW2mU4Z4Mo3Imn4Kb?domain=jme.bmj.com