[SydPhil] Sensible Animism: The Logic and Religion Webinar, Feb 22 (Thursday)

FRANCISCO MARIANO assismariano at ufrn.edu.br
Thu Feb 22 14:49:46 AEDT 2024

Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on February 22 (THIS THURSDAY), 2024, at 4 pm CET with the topic:

SENSIBLE ANIMISM
Speaker: Evan Fales<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/xOsZCxngwOfLYK2GWT8L7cg?domain=clas.uiowa.edu> (The University of Iowa, USA)
Chair: Assis Mariano<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/j1vGCyojxQT7xEljBtMHct3?domain=assismariano.weebly.com> (University of Missouri-Columbia, USA)

Time zones: 10:00 am in New York; 12:00 pm in Brazil; 4:00 pm in Paris; 5:00 pm in Jerusalem; and 8:30 pm in New Delhi.

Please, register to receive a zoom link:
https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/4FEiCzvkyVCG5v0PjtgVixD?domain=logicandreligion.com

Abstract: Not uncommonly, modern reflection on “primitive” tribal religions (sometimes labelled ‘animist’) has concluded that, in one way or another, such religions are grounded in irrational cognitive processes, in contrast to the sophisticated thought that characterizes the theologies of advanced religions.  Is this a fair judgment?  Or does it reflect a fundamental failure to grasp the ontological underpinnings of primitive theologies?  I’ll argue for the latter, and that a different approach suggests not only rational but sophisticated thinking.  My argument proceeds, from a strong principle of interpretive charity and analysis of the ontology of social realities, to this proposal.

Join us 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the session!

With best wishes,

--
Francisco de Assis Mariano,
The University of Missouri-Columbia (USA)