[SydPhil] Fwd: Sydney Health Ethics Conversation Series| 7th March| 12:00 to 1:00 PM

Kathryn MacKay kathryn.mackay at sydney.edu.au
Fri Feb 23 14:56:13 AEDT 2024

From: Supriya Subramani <supriya.subramani at sydney.edu.au>
Subject: Sydney Health Ethics Conversation Series| 7th March| 12:00 to 1:00 PM
Date: 23 February 2024 at 12:15:51 AEDT
To: Supriya Subramani <supriya.subramani at sydney.edu.au>

Hello everyone,

It was lovely seeing you yesterday!

I am writing to extend a warm invitation to you to our next 2024 Semester 1 Sydney Health Ethics Conversation series!

Speaker
Dr Tamra Lysaght
Associate Professor
Sydney Health Ethics| Sydney School of Public Health
Faculty of Medicine and Health,
The University of Sydney

When
7th March 2024| 12.00-1:00 PM

Where
D18.04.411.Susan Wakil Health Building. SWHB Seminar Room 411. This will be a hybrid event. If you are attending online, register here.<https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZArf-ysqjsrE9b_wYz9cHKq12k-_2iFoKeD> We will send you a confirmation email with zoom link details.

Title
Why Australian policy on human embryo research should change

Abstract
In Australia, research with human embryos is restricted under Commonwealth legislation first enacted in 2002. Such research must be conducted under license from the national regulator and in compliance with the 14-day rule. This rule prohibits scientists from developing anything that falls within a very broad definition of human embryos up to or beyond 14 days. This definition captures research on emerging human embryo-like model (hELM) that are derived from pluripotent stem cells. Accordingly, hELM research must be conducted under license in the same way as research on embryos derived from sperm-egg. Breaches of the law carries criminal penalties with fines and imprisonment up to five and fifteen years for RIHE and PHRC, respectively. In this paper, I forward an argument in favour of radically reforming, if not, repealing the laws altogether and replacing them with more flexible forms of science governance. My argument is premised on the legislation being outdated, unfit for purpose, and imposing costs and burdens on limited public resources that are disproportionate to the interests the laws protect. Instead, I advocate for more responsive regulation that emphasises persuasion over publishment and is embedded with values of trust, participation, inclusion, and reflexivity.

Seminar will be followed by a "buy your own lunch" at the Grandstand, and we will continue our conversations!

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or require additional information. I look forward to seeing you at the Sydney Health Ethics Conversation series!

Regards,
Supriya

-
Lecturer
Sydney Health Ethics | School of Public Health | Faculty of Medicine and Health
Rm 108, Edward Ford Building A27 | The University of Sydney | NSW 2006
Phone: 0293515069
Website<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/0Z4bCr81nytrg5KJks7yY6l?domain=supriyasubramani.com> | Twitter<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/-QWxCvl1rKiEQDmVYuXfjN6?domain=twitter.com>
I acknowledge the land, air, water and culture of the Gadigal people in Eora Nation. I acknowledge historical and continuing injustices against Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders.

I sometimes send messages outside of working hours. I do not expect others to respond immediately.